Get a head start with spring planting of annual flowers, vegetables and herbs:
- Plan spring flower, vegetable and herb plantings in well-drained, reasonably fertile, uncompacted soil.
- Purchase seeds.
- Start seeds indoors of vegetables and herbs with slow germination and/or long seedling periods such as parsley and tomatoes. Monitor new seedlings.
- Irrigate new garden beds, wait 10 to 21 days prior to planting to flush weed seeds, and remove or till in weed seedlings.
- Inspect and repair raised beds, garden structures, fencing, hose bibs, and drip or other irrigation systems.
- In new beds or compacted soils, double-dig or loosen soil with a spading fork and remove stones and obstructions.
- Amend soils prior to planting by surface dressing and/or gently working in compost, organic matter, manures, and other amendments.
GardenZeus has customized growing information by plant and zip code. To get started, enter your zip code here.
Need more ideas? Consider watering your organic garden without using chlorinated water:
Chlorine, Soil, and Watering Gardens
Remove Chlorine When Watering Organic Gardens
And many plants like particular levels of soil pH. Read how to calculate your soil pH:
Mud Pies and Fizz: Easy Home Tests for Soil pH
Tips for Testing Soil pH at Home With a Soil pH Meter